Sunday, April 20, 2014

TD10-7 Life used to be so much simpler

Were we really meant to live like this?  Life used to be so much simpler.

The power went out last night.  As I was searching for flashlights, candles and matches I realized how dependent I am on electronic gadgets.  No TV, no internet, no lights, no microwave, no stove.  It was getting dark, I needed to make dinner, and it really got me thinking about what people did before electricity once it got dark.

The only light would have come from candles and/or lanterns.  Stoves and furnaces would need wood or coal.  Air conditioning, uh… nope.  Icebox for anything cold.  I guess at night you either went to bed or read by candlelight… maybe hung out and had a conversation.

Humans are a funny species.  As children we basically do whatever we want for a while, at least until school starts, then we start to get a regimented routine going.  This follows most of us into the workforce when we leave school and get a job, where we spend most of our lives until we retire and basically do whatever we want for a while again.

What if we shrunk everything down and didn’t need so much stuff, wouldn’t life be simpler?  I think it certainly would, but would that necessarily be better?  Maybe not.  Live in a small house, no electronics, no car, low overhead.  If we learned to live simply we might live more enriched lives.  Or is it more enriching to be a part of all the technical gadgetry that has become available to us?

I’m not sure there’s a right or wrong answer here.  I’ve got people inside my head voting for both sides and neither would win by a landslide.  Perhaps moderation is the key – keeping a balance between simplicity and technology.  I don’t know.

I do know that I was greatly relieved when the power came back on.  Flipping a light switch and having it turn the light on after a blackout is a great feeling.

0 comments: