Friday, November 01, 2013

Insights on the day I'm sober 25 years




I woke up with this on my mind, wrote it down, hope it resonates with you:

Insights on the day I'm sober 25 years:

1 - People, events, situations are in your life for a reason.  You get to decide what to do from there, so make good decisions.  You do that by aligning yourself with God and His will for you, then following your heart.  I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Kelly Heppner and Dede Cummings who entered my life at just the right time with just the right message to help me change my thoughts from that time on.

2 - The darkest periods of our lives set us up for our greatest successes.  It's always darkest before dawn.  Alcoholics have to bottom out before starting the rebuilding process, but everyone has their cross to bear.  Learn to focus on the things that are going right, on what you CAN do.  Don't give up when you're "three feet from gold", as Napoleon Hill says in "Think and Grow Rich".  Our greatest failures give us the seeds to grow equal and/or greater successes.

3 - You can change your life in an instant.  Nov 1, 1988 I had had enough.  I decided I would never let drugs or alcohol control me again and I started outpatient treatment.  From that day, that second, that decision forward, my entire life changed...  The instant I committed to moving in a different direction.

4 - I'm very grateful.  Going through tough times in life can defeat you or make you stronger, it's your choice.  Just waking up sober is a victory for me in more ways than anyone who hasn't gone through what I did can ever understand.  My worst day sober is always better than my best day using.

I'm always available to anyone struggling with addiction issues.  I'll help any way I can.  I try to focus my life around that principle - meet as many people as possible, help them any way you can.  Find that part of you that knows you CAN do things, that smiles in the morning, that loves life... and live from that area of your soul.

For those of you interested, I'm writing a book called "Feed Your Angel" - the related web sites are here:
http://www.facebook.com/feedyourangel
http://www.facebook.com/davidgeschke
http://www.feedyourangel.com

"Let Love Rule" - Lenny Kravitz :)

0 comments: