Sunday, April 06, 2014

TD10-6 My dog is so happy


I have a small dog named Cosmo.  I’ve been told he’s an American Tunnel Terrier, but there doesn’t seem to be much information on that breed online at all so I’ve often wondered if there really is such a breed or if it’s made up, but I digress… he’s similar to a Boston Terrier I guess.

We rescued him from the Fond du Lac Humane Society after he was involved in a pet hoarding case.  Sixty animals were left for three weeks in a house with no food or water.  He almost died; he was ten pounds when they pulled him out.  His healthy weight is around twenty five pounds.

I’ve had dogs my whole life, I love them.  This is by far the mellowest dog I’ve ever had.  It took him a while to come out of his shell after the harrowing experience he went through.  We have to give him medication daily to control seizures now because of it.  We’ve had him for years, though.  Now he’s a member of the family.

Mornings are probably my favorite time of the day.  One of the things I can look forward to is that Cosmo starts every day extremely happy.  Not ever being known as a “morning person”, I should be so lucky.  No matter what ridiculous time I have to get up – 4am, 5am… he’s up, bounding with energy, happy to see me, ready to play, ready for breakfast.  Just waking up to a happy dog is good for the soul.

I start every day making him breakfast, then taking him out.  He sits by me wherever I am as I get ready for my day.  I usually watch TV before going to bed, once I hit the couch there is a dog on my lap pretty much demanding to be petted for a while.  Once he’s had enough, he’ll go to the loveseat and just lie there next to me the rest of the night.  Petting a dog every day is also good for the soul.

Dogs can teach us more about life than we could ever teach them.  They’re loyal and loving.  They’re naturally playful and happy.  If you’ve ever owned a dog and been sad, sick, or crying, where’s your dog been?  Right there with you, licking your tears away.  Unconditional love.

Our dog is a happy dog and I thank God every day for allowing our lives (and the lives of all my former dogs) to connect.

0 comments: